SMARTS SOFTBALL LEAGUE RULES
FAST PITCH SOFTBALL LEAGUE
- TEAMS -10U RECON, 10u DYNAMITE,10UDEVILS, 10u RENEGADES,12U MONROE LIGHTNING, INTRUDERS, TRENTON BLAST,
Smarts directors will run and will be paid for their services. It will be the Directors responsibility to pay all league fees and services. The Director will also be the acting treasurer and secretary. The remaining funds after the softball season will be considered the pay for this position. It will be the Directors responsibility to create the league schedule, organize the umpire schedule, publish the league standings every two weeks, collect player contracts and verify team rosters, and to organize the league meeting before and after for the following season. The Director will also have an equal vote as the directors when voting on league issues. Playing field location and maps to these fields will be the responsibility of the coaches.
III. RULES AND COST
The Official MHSSA Softball Rules shall govern all games with the exception of special rules set by this league. Umpires will be furnished by this coaches and must be certified and approved by the MHSSA. All teams playing in this league will be required to show proof of insurance from their organizations. If insurance is not available by your league, insurance can be purchased through SMARTS. Following is the projected cost per team, which includes league expenses and Administration fee for the Directors. A $100 deposit will be required for all teams when teams are entered for league play. This deposit will be used to replace a team if a team drops out of the league after the league schedule is made.
* Refunds/ Registration Fees- Registration fees are set for single game pricing unless a mutual agreement is reached between both parties for discounts on multiples tourney packages. If a tourney or league fee is deleted from the original agreement this will affect the original pricing and may revert to full price depending on amount agreed upon. example 3 tourney discount= $75.00 off each. If one is deleted, discount will then be $50.00 off Each. This is an example not solidified amount. Any registration discount amounts must be paid in full or SMARTS reserves the right to void agreement. All refunds regardless of circumstance is subject to a $26.75 administrative fee per registration for tournament or league. all refunds will be processed within 30 days from tournament.ALL REFUNDS ARE TO BE SUBMITTED TO firstname.lastname@example.org
5 weeks=10 games cost $350 plus $100 deposit
Deposits must be separate checks and will be destroyed if not used for withdrawl
Fields are provided by teams/Balls are provided by teams/Each team will pay umpire each game.
List of umpires will be provided for teams to use. Please contact respectfully to arrange gametimes.
SHAUN SPERR 734-216-2071
BEN BUDZIOS 734-241-4067
KEN BAUSMAN 734-735-1508
TRACY YEARY 734-693-2457
MIKE MENTAL 734-625-5720
STEVE FERNANDEZ 734-625-8067
AL FERNANDEZ 313-969-7097
GEORGE GRIFO 419-699-2216
WILLIAM BELL 419-205-4426
DOMINIC FLINT 734-735-1984
HUNTER LONGSWORTH 734-344-9822
MIKE ROACH 313-522-1452
- Each team will be required to have on file with the league Director a registration along with a copy of the girl’s birth certificate and Insurance. This information must be on file before the first game is played. No new team may be added after May 16th.
- PLAYERS ELIGIBILTY
The number of players per team shall not exceed 15 players. A player must be released before another player can be signed if 15 players are on the roster. No players can be added after May 23rd of any year. The player's age is determined by her age as of Jan 1st. Ex. (If a girls is 14 at this date and turns 15 any day after Jan 1st she is eligible to play 14 and under). Players may not move from one roster to another at any time. No dual rostering is allowed. Players from a lower division team registered with their organization may play on an older team to prevent forfeiture of games. Ex. (a 12 year old from Titans could play on a 14 & under Titans team to prevent forfeiture, this player cannot be registered on both teams.
- AGE DIVISIONS
- 12U games played on WEDNESDAYS beginning MAY 23RD
- 10u games played on WEDNESDAYS beginning MAY 23RD
COACHES CONDUCT / PLAYERS CONDUCT
A suspension rule will apply to coaches or players thrown out of games. For the first offense a one game suspension will apply for the coach. A second offense will result in a two game suspension for the coach. Any coach who is thrown out three times will be banned from the SMARTS LEAGUE. Any player who is thrown out of game for bad conduct will be suspended the next league game. Further player infractions will be determined by the League Director . All suspensions are reviewable with the League Director upon request.
Bats need to be ASA or USSSA approved
- Teams must wear numbered shirts and uniforms.
- Game balls will be 12 inches in circumference for all leagues except the 10 and under. Their game balls will be 11 inches in circumference. All game balls will be furnished by the coaches. Game balls must of a respectful quality raised seem.(example Rawlings Dreamseam)
- The pitching distance will be 35 feet for the 10 and under league, 40 feet for the 12u.
- All teams will be required to have a home field and must be approved by league Directors.
- All batters, runners, player coaches, and on deck batters will wear batting helmets. All age groups will wear caged helmets when batting.
- GAME INFORMATION
- The winning manager will text or email the scores in each evening of the game (phone number 734-652-8736 email email@example.com. All scores must be registered within 48 hours of the game. Standings will be listed on our web site at smartstournaments.com.
- The home team will be considered the official scorekeeper. It is the manager's responsibility to check each inning to verify the official score. All discrepancies must be reported to the umpire.
- Rainouts will be declared by the home team no earlier than three hours before the scheduled game. Please make sure that the visiting team manager and umpires' association is contacted as soon as possible to prevent unnecessary travel.
- Rainout games will be held on days during the week in which league games are not scheduled. All rain out games must be played within two weeks of the scheduled game if possible. Rescheduling will be done by the managers and the league Director and umpires will be notified as the rescheduled date. If the managers can not agree on a date the Director will schedule the game for them.
- Suspended games due to rain or lightning which have not reached the legal innings played (3 innings) will be decided by the League Director if they will be replayed or considered as no game played in the standings. A game which the Director deems necessary will start over as a new game. There will be no continuation of games suspended. If lightning is spotted, play will be suspended immediately. A decision by the umpire on the game will be made within 20 minutes.
- All protest will be done in writing and will have a 50 dollar fee which will be returned if the protest is won. All protest must be verbally given to the umpire in the field at the time of the infraction. The protest must occur before the next ball is pitched. Failing to protest verbally cancels all opportunity to protest. No protest will be made on a judgement call. A written protest must be filed with 48 hours and must sight the section and the rule violated in the USSSA rulebook. All losing protest money will be turned over to the league.
- Trophies will be given to the first place winners for all divisions. Any division which has 6 or more teams will have first place trophy and second place medal.
- All player or spectator accidents will be reported to the President within 24 hours of the accident.
- Game time will be 5:30 for all doubleheaders. When a doubleheader is scheduled for two different teams the second game will start at 7:15. Games are scheduled as an hour and a half. Each team will alternate as home team.
B. All games will have an hour and half time limit. The schedule game length is six innings, but extra innings are allowed if the teams are tied and the time limit has not been reached. If the teams are tied after the time limit both teams will be given a tie in the standings. No international tie breakers in league play. A mercy will be called if a team is leading by 12 runs after 4 innings or 8 runs after 5 innings. No exceptions.
- C. A legal starting lineup is a minimum of 9 players. The nine players listed in the official batting order must be on the field to start the first inning of the game. Games can be played without a legal lineup if the managers agree. No games will be played when a team has seven or fewer players available. If a team has only eight batters, the ninth batter will be an automatic out. To help prevent forfeitures and postponements the league does allow girls from younger age groups to play up a division. All forfeits will be recorded as a 5-0 score
10u teams may use 4 outfielders not using as a roving short.
A) Run rule limit. The maximum runs allowed per inning will be 5 runs. Once a team has scored 5 runs the teams will change sides. The 5 run rule applies to all innings excluding the 6th inning.
B) Pitchers are limited to 3 innings for a 6-inning game. Extra innings are considered like a new game and the pitchers can pitch another 3 innings in an extra inning game. The four innings do not have to consecutive. A single pitch in an inning will be considered a complete inning. No partial inning will be considered.
C)Base stealing is permitted. There is no leading off. A runner stealing can run on the release of the ball . In the 10 and under there is no stealing of home plate. This means that a run can only score on a batted ball, a walk, or a hit batter. Any runner thrown out for leaving early will be out. All runners leaving early in the 12 under leagues will be called out. The 10 and under league if the runner leaves early they will be sent back to the base in which they came. If the runner leaves early again, they will then be considered out. Runners may steal more then one base on a given pitch .
D) Bunting is allowed.
E) A batter can steal first base if the catcher doesn't catch the third strike and first base is unoccupied. The batter must beat the throw to first base to be considered safe. If there is two outs and first base is occupied the batter can steal first base if the catcher doesn't catch the third strike.
F) The batter will be allowed unlimited foul balls on her third strike except for bunting.
G) A courtesy runner can be used for either the catcher or the pitcher at any time. The courtesy runner has to be a player who is not in the official batting lineup. In round robin batting leagues, or leagues in which no extra players are available, the last out will be the courtesy runner.
H) Automatic intentional walks. For an intentional walk the pitcher will not pitch any balls. The pitcher will let the umpire know that she wants to walk the batter and the batter will be awarded first base automatically.
- Steel spikes are not allowed in the 10 and under and the 12 and under leagues..
- Round robin batting is required in the 10/12 and under leagues. If a player is ejected from the game, when they come to bat they will be an automatic out. If a player is injured or leaves early from the game, they will be skipped in the batting order with no penalty. If a team falls below the nine player limit in the batting order, the ninth spot will be an automatic out. All players are to bat unless they are hurt.